JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

On the bright side, we won 3 games in our first 8 fixtures last season. We've been doing it real tough so far, and i feel confident that things will turn around for the better once we get our key troops back. I think the challenge cup won't be coming home this time but, we can certainly focus on a grand finish towards the end of the season which i think is achievable.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The 4 out of our next 5 would be tough with a full compliment, just hope that we can keep our heads up which I’m sure Lam will instill with the group.

KR away in the cup is a free hit and something is telling me we will come away with the W

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain44No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We need a real change of luck this year as everything fell well for us last year. Certainly not this year April going to be a tough month. Keep the faith and hope we can resurrect the season when our injured players return. Hopefully Leutele and Halton back for Thursday.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3330
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74208_1661111029.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74208.jpg

Of course we are going to struggle with so many second choices in the 17. But Bongser is, as alluded passim, a glass three-quarters full sort of bloke and believes, like Lammy Snr, that the good times will roll again soon.

Positive No1: Despite losing four SL games out of five this season, we still have a positive points difference due to the tight margins by which we have been defeated plus the spanking doled out to a poor HFC team. (O/T KR fans liked Tony when he was there; they absolutely adore the newly dubbed “Agent Smith” now).

Positive No2: The fact that Umyla has grabbed his chance with both hands (should Tom be worried? - discuss). Two hat tricks on the bounce - albethey against non-worldbeating teams (the latter we lost against and we did our best to do the same against the former) - is surely impressive.

A little look at https://www.superleague.co.uk/stats/player-stats shows the top three SL try scorers this season as:

Ash Handley (Leeds) - 7 tries from 6 games (average ergo 1.17 tries per match (tpm))
Matt Dufty (Warrington) 6 from 6 (1 tpm)
Liam Marshall (Wigan) 6 from 4 (1.5 tpm)

Ramble alert!

SL place Dufty above Marshall (both with 6 tries under their braces), not on tpm but on alphabetical order of surname! Who knows (and Bongser will not further research) how many other players are on 6 tries and miss out on the top three merely denomonatively?

Reminded of a good few PL seasons ago when the early pace-setters were The Gooners & Red Devils. Both had accrued the same number of points and shared the same goal difference. United had scored more goals but the official table placed Arsenal top. Cue all hell breaking loose from the far flung fans of the northern club. The FA said that, whilst goals scored would come into consideration at the end of the season should two or more clubs be tied on the first two criteria, until then alphabetical order was the third determiner. We all know the RFL are mad (and getting madder since “OMG” were introduced), but the FA were equally stupid then.

Perhaps the SL.co.uk graphics designer is a Wire fan!

Bongser digresses (it has been known!) Umyla has 5 tries in 3 SL games that’s 1.67 tpm and, on that last criterion, trumps all of the displayed top three. Yes, only three games and cricket batting averages (here he goes again) bear the proviso of the batter (how PC) having played X number of innings to qualify.

So let’s expand this. All SL sides have played one CCup match. Both Handley & Dufty played but didn’t score, taking their respective tpms to 1.00 & 0.86. Marshall scored two in Wigan’s tie taking him above the aforementioned pair to 8 tries (1.60). Hanley however scored three tries - now also on 8 but with a tpm of 2.00 - and Hanley is alphabetically before Marshall icon_thumb.gif

Yes, Bongser is back. Expect more drivel soon. Happy Easter to all.
Of course we are going to struggle with so many second choices in the 17. But Bongser is, as alluded passim, a glass three-quarters full sort of bloke and believes, like Lammy Snr, that the good times will roll again soon.

Positive No1: Despite losing four SL games out of five this season, we still have a positive points difference due to the tight margins by which we have been defeated plus the spanking doled out to a poor HFC team. (O/T KR fans liked Tony when he was there; they absolutely adore the newly dubbed “Agent Smith” now).

Positive No2: The fact that Umyla has grabbed his chance with both hands (should Tom be worried? - discuss). Two hat tricks on the bounce - albethey against non-worldbeating teams (the latter we lost against and we did our best to do the same against the former) - is surely impressive.

A little look at https://www.superleague.co.uk/stats/player-stats shows the top three SL try scorers this season as:

Ash Handley (Leeds) - 7 tries from 6 games (average ergo 1.17 tries per match (tpm))
Matt Dufty (Warrington) 6 from 6 (1 tpm)
Liam Marshall (Wigan) 6 from 4 (1.5 tpm)

Ramble alert!

SL place Dufty above Marshall (both with 6 tries under their braces), not on tpm but on alphabetical order of surname! Who knows (and Bongser will not further research) how many other players are on 6 tries and miss out on the top three merely denomonatively?

Reminded of a good few PL seasons ago when the early pace-setters were The Gooners & Red Devils. Both had accrued the same number of points and shared the same goal difference. United had scored more goals but the official table placed Arsenal top. Cue all hell breaking loose from the far flung fans of the northern club. The FA said that, whilst goals scored would come into consideration at the end of the season should two or more clubs be tied on the first two criteria, until then alphabetical order was the third determiner. We all know the RFL are mad (and getting madder since “OMG” were introduced), but the FA were equally stupid then.

Perhaps the SL.co.uk graphics designer is a Wire fan!

Bongser digresses (it has been known!) Umyla has 5 tries in 3 SL games that’s 1.67 tpm and, on that last criterion, trumps all of the displayed top three. Yes, only three games and cricket batting averages (here he goes again) bear the proviso of the batter (how PC) having played X number of innings to qualify.

So let’s expand this. All SL sides have played one CCup match. Both Handley & Dufty played but didn’t score, taking their respective tpms to 1.00 & 0.86. Marshall scored two in Wigan’s tie taking him above the aforementioned pair to 8 tries (1.60). Hanley however scored three tries - now also on 8 but with a tpm of 2.00 - and Hanley is alphabetically before Marshall icon_thumb.gif

Yes, Bongser is back. Expect more drivel soon. Happy Easter to all.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2355No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I was worried when Lam suggested that we'd played well against Fev. If he suggests the same this time, we are in bother.

30+ missed tackles. A knock on from a kick off, knock on from a drop out, players leaving holes in the defensive line and countless offloads allowed. It really was poor.

Yet we still scored 4 tries. If we can sort the defence out, and find a right centre and back rower that can protect Moylan defensively, we can get some results. But if we keep losing until Asiata, Ipape and Amone are back, it will be a tough rot to stop.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6997No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Onwards and upwards - LTID:

Quote: LeythIg "I was worried when Lam suggested that we'd played well against Fev. If he suggests the same this time, we are in bother.

30+ missed tackles. A knock on from a kick off, knock on from a drop out, players leaving holes in the defensive line and countless offloads allowed. It really was poor.

Yet we still scored 4 tries. If we can sort the defence out, and find a right centre and back rower that can protect Moylan defensively, we can get some results. But if we keep losing until Asiata, Ipape and Amone are back, it will be a tough rot to stop.'"

Right icon_confused.gif not a world beater but more than happy with hardaker

RankPostsTeam
International Star21202
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

We are doing it tough atm with all the disruption with positional changes. I accept where we are under the difficult circumstances, and I'm pretty sure there are good times ahead when key troops are back in the team. We just need to be patient right now, and get behind the team the best we can.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player284No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Our season will start in May, when we get the troops back. We had 6 1st teamers missing against Salford and still gave them a game in patches. On the plus side, it is giving good game time to the replacements which will only improve the squad strength.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3969
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17580.jpg
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can. “Up The Comics !”:17580.jpg

Seeing missed tackles, weak first contact in tackles, allowing so many offloads, seeing the forwards make minimal yards, are all hard to watch right now. My rants during the Salford game are what happens when I watch games like that alone at home !
But
Reality is that we had 4 out of our starting 6 pack members in the stands. That situation alone sets the challenges for our go forward and in defence. Add to that Ricky missing, and we have what happened against Salford. I still think we have the best halfback pairing in SL, but right now they are playing behind a struggling pack. Imagine our 1st choice pack with Ipape and Dwyer at 9 all game. With a bit of luck, that will be the second half of the season, and see us push into the top 6 and be a real danger in the playoffs.
The Challenge cup will be a miracle with a trip away to KR before any of that happens, but that won’t stop me believing it could happen. I am firmly with Bongser on the amount of beverage in my glass.
It could be a long April, but come May onwards, we will be the team other worry about.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2355No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ColD "Right Centre
He's come up with some massive plays for us last season, in the cup semi and final in particular. But I think there are a number of weaknesses in his game at centre. He struggles to protect his winger when they're trying to claim kicks, and for someone so comfortable under a high ball at full back, he struggles against cross field kicks to his channel. He doesn't get many assists, and the break early in the second half at Salford gave an idea why, failed completely to commit any defenders before giving the ball to Hanley, who was then bundled into touch. It was poor centre play.

The first choice back line (before Hanley came in) are all over 30 and out of contract this year, so likely to need to replace at least a couple of them anyway. At the very least, I'd consider having Leutele and Hardaker swapping sides. Moylan is much more likely to look for the centre than Lam, who tends to go to O'Donnell or O'Brien.

Biggest worry for me though is the discipline of the defensive line. Even when nobody shoots out of the line, teams are finding it easy to create overlaps or gaps. If that, and the missed tackles isn't tightened up then Thursday will be a long long night.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach676No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: WYSIWYG2 "I'm going for Salford 16 Leigh 36'"

Just seen your cup prediction… not very good at are you icon_mad.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star21202
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png

Quote: redmuzza "Just seen your cup prediction… not very good at are you
What cup prediction was that muzzle face?

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: LeythIg "I was worried when Lam suggested that we'd played well against Fev. If he suggests the same this time, we are in bother.

Yet we still scored 4 tries. If we can sort the defence out, and find a right centre and back rower that can protect Moylan defensively, we can get some results. But if we keep losing until Asiata, Ipape and Amone are back, it will be a tough rot to stop.'"

The right edge is something of a concern , for my knockings of Reynolds , his defensive was top drawer when it mattered .
Wouldn’t change Moylan for a gold pig but he needs to either smarten up or get extra protection because one on one he is average at best

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain357
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73945_1625172747.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73945.jpg

If this had been our first season back in Super League then the results would be going as I would have expected and I'd have been more than thankful that (currently) London, Cas and Hull are putting on worse performances than us.

But after last season, we expect. With a squad better than last season, we expect.

The "W's" aren't there but we aren't far behind any team we've lost to (and should have really beaten Giants and Leeds), I actually don't think any team is that great (well, maybe Wigan when they haven't got to play Kendall and Saints) but I agree that we can/should write-off this month and hopefully, as an inverse to last season, the squad gets stronger, the injuries tail-off and the performance level goes stratospheric.

This is about as optimistic as I've ever been as both a Leigh fan and a Leigh fan with the team in a bit of a slump..

RankPostsTeam
International Star21202
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png

From a positive pov, our fringe players are being given some SL experience with a chance to see what they can do. Also, If they are needed again later on in the season, that can only be a good thing. We have been very unlucky so far this season with injuries disrupting our plans, however, I do believe there are better times ahead.

28 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish
28 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Dick Jones , jonny the leyther , mish

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.15380859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Dave K.
13m
Zak signs for Hull
satanicmills
15m